Magazines are a media of higher production cost and better-quality printing intended for readers keep. They could be seen as a form of entertainment or sometimes a more serious source for information as the genres of magazines can range from family to fashion, lifestyle to nature, investment to finance. Magazine advertising allows you to choose the magazine with content that most suit your company and advertise in them in the colourfully glossed magazines.
Advertising in press
Major Magazine Publishing Companies
Hearst Group is one of the leading media publishing companies in Hong Kong. The have cooperated with South China Morning Post in the past and currently publishes a collection of prestigious Chinese and English magazines, namely:
- ELLE Men
- Cosmopolitan HK
- Harper’s BAZAAR HK
- HK Magazine
- The Peak
South China Media publishes an array of magazines including fashion magazines, children’s magazines and business and finance magazines. All magazines published by SC media are in Chinese, targeting the local audience. These magazines include:
- Marie Claire
- Whiz-Kids Express Weekly
One Media Group mainly publishes lifestyle magazines written in Chinese, some more general while some magazines target fans of a specific interest, such as:
- Ming Pao Weekly
- Top Gear
- Ming Watch
Hong Kong Economic Times Holdings is the publisher of the daily newspaper Hong Kong Economic Times, yet newspapers are not the only media they publish. There are a series of lifestyle and business magazine which is published by the same company, such of which includes:
- U Magazine
New Media Group mainly publishes lifestyle and entertainment magazines in a tabloid fashion. Aside from this, they also are publishing a business magazine. Magazines they publish are of the following:
- Oriental Sunday
- Economic Digest
- Weekend Weekly
Sing Tao News Corporation Limited is as the name suggests, they mainly publish the daily news Sing Tao Daily. However, that does not stop the company from publishing different lifestyle magazines, for example:
- East Week
- Smart Parent
- East Touch
- Caz Buyer
Magazine Advertising Formats
Specified Position: Areas that are most easily seen and more likely to be read by readers
- Back Cover: Many magazines do not offer their front cover for advertisements since it is the face of the magazine. You could make use of the back cover of the magazine and advertise to people without having them buy the magazine first
- Inside Front Cover: The page inside the front cover, which makes it the first page readers would see when reading the magazine in order. This position makes it easier for readers to notice your advertisement.
- Inside Back Cover: Situated on the inside page of the back cover. Though it is not the first page readers will see, it would be more noticeable than ROP advertisements when the reader flip through the pages.
- Double Page Spread: Two consecutive pages which spans across the centre. With more area for your advertisement than usual advertisements, you can paint a clearly picture of your product or your brand by giving a bigger visual.
Run of Page (ROP): The inner pages of the where articles are located
- Full Page: An entire page for advertising alongside the magazine articles.
- Half Page Horizontal: Different magazines have different standards for ROP advertisements less than a full page. Half page advertisements are one of the more common ones and horizontal ads can be placed either on the top or bottom half.
- Half Page Vertical: Very similar to half page horizontal ads in terms of size but stands vertically. It can be placed on the left or right half.
Why Advertise on Magazines?
- It increases the chance of re-exposure. When the reader or viewer sees your advertisement after having seen in previously, you may re-expose them to your advertising campaign. It increases the chance of the audience purchasing your product or service since it lingers in their mind longer. Magazines are better in quality than newspapers, as they were designed for readers to be kept and re-read. Readers who have bought your magazine is very likely to be re-exposed to your advertisement since the magazines could be stored for some time.
- Magazines boost readers’ confidence in your brand. For readers to purchase a magazine or choose a magazine to read, they would have placed certain trust into the credibility of the magazine. If you advertise in reputable magazine, readers could easily associate your brand or product as equally credible since they read it from a source they trust. Since a lot of readers take ideas and suggestions from magazines, it could give you a chance to show your product as a viable option they can confide in.
- Magazines helps targeting ads. Magazines have a myriad of genres, they could be more specific like bird-watching magazines, or less specific such as lifestyle magazines. Because of the large span of genres, you can easily target your ads by determining which genre of magazine has most of your target audience.