- Out of home
Out Of Home Advertising
OOH stands for “Out of Home”, which means advertisements displayed, you guessed it, out of the homes of the audiences. OOH can be different types of outdoor advertising including billboards, MTR, buses or minibuses, bus stations or airports.
The purpose of OOH is to increase brand awareness, to put your product out there so anybody who passes by would have the opportunity to learn about your business. It can also instil confidence in your audience’s mind, so that they would be able to trust your product rather than your competitors’.
Major OOH Advertising Companies
The major OOH advertising companies in Hong Kong are:
- JC Decaux
- Easy Group
JC Decaux is a French company which has built its reputation on OOH. In Hong Kong, it is a mainly provides bus shelter, tram, and MTR advertising.
Asiaray is another major OOH media in the Greater China region which also serves MTR and bus shelter advertisement (KMB and LWB). Apart from that, they also have bus-body advertising, in bus advertising, billboard, taxi bodies, DOOH and even building solutions.
An OOH media that focuses mainly on buses would be Road Show. Road Show used to produce short videos which would be played in the bus for entertainment purposes, while advertisements played in the middle of segments and the at the side of the screen. Though video programmes no longer exist in buses, Road Show is still one of the major media companies in Hong Kong serving bus-body and bus-interior advertisements.
For billboards, the biggest media companies would be Cody and Poad. Cody is an Australian company with a branch in Hong Kong that serves OOH billboards in downtown areas such as Central, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, and at the exits of tunnels where the OOH advertisements would be clearly in sight.
Poad’s business spans from Hong Kong to Macau and Singapore. It serves OOH in a highway advertising format with the tunnel billboards as well as pedestrian walkway format with DOOH and billboards on buildings.
Easy Group is an advertising company on OOH in Hong Kong that has quickly grown since 2002, it provides a spectrum of out of home advertising spaces in Hong Kong including bus, minibus, billboards, and its expertise, taxis.
OOH Advertising Formats
OOH can be placed in different locations with particular formats:
- DOOH (Digital OOH advertising). Its formats include building exterior, digital billboards, street furniture, mobile billboard trucks and interior displays.
- Hong Kong Airport advertising. It surprisingly has quite some OOH spaces which can be split into non-restricted areas such as arrivals hall and check-in hall, and restricted areas such as duty-free zones, central concourse and arrivals baggage reclaim hall.
- MTR advertising. there are train advertisements and station advertisements. Station advertisements include fence sticker, floor sticker, pillar wrap, wall sticker, 12-sheet panel, 4-sheet panel, escalator crown, etc. Train advertisements include full train body, in-train campaign, train door window stickers, in-train card, etc.
- Bus body advertising. Formats include T-hammer, hammer, superside, whole bus and mega rear while bus-interior formats mainly consist of entrance, stairs, interior, and ceiling advertisements.
- Bus shelters. A type of street furniture, and the advertising format include flagship domination, première panel, scrolling première panel, première panel plus, digital frame, 4-sheet panel, mega panel.
- Taxi OOH. It includes 4-door stickers, whole body stickers, 3D tailor-made light box and normal light box.
Benefits of OOH Advertising
Why should you consider OOH in your media plan? Out of the different advertising methods, there must be certain qualities to OOH that would bring $4.6 billion HKD to be spent on OOH.
OOH advertisement is a quick way to leave an impression to a lot of people as they are visual and eye-catching. As the name suggests, OOH advertising targets people out of their home and most people do end up having to leave their house eventually, either to get groceries, or to work or school. Such then most people would be exposed to OOH, which does not take much to get their message across. OOH or DOOH are visual advertisements, and therefore must make their message stand out such that anyone that takes so much as a glance could obtain information about the business. Take DOOH on building exteriors, they often require not more than only the name of their company.
OOHs are more in-touch with the real world, unlike social media ads that could be skipped and is more approachable, gives the audience a sense of connection. And since these are less avoidable but also less intrusive, OOH serves as an alternative for pedestrians to look at instead of being a nuisance, therefore will be more well-received.
OOH advertisements are constant. Once billboards, posters, bus-body advertisements, and many others are put up, they stay up until the campaign is over. To paraphrase this, OOH advertising is 24-7 advertising, and what gets into the audiences’ mind like being able to see and advertisement any time of the day. Unlike other types of advertisements that are published thousands of times in hopes to be seen by readers, OOH advertisements only require to be put up once (or a few times depending on the OOH advertising space you purchased), and just wait for people to stumble across the advertisement.
OOH can target location of your advertisement. From the type of OOH advertisement, to where your OOH advertisement is, you can target the audience that would see your advertisement and how your advertisements are perceived. Enough to be said, there are quite the benefits for using OOH in your media plan.