- Out of Home
Out Of Home Advertising
OOH stands for “Out of Home”, which means advertisements displayed, you guessed it, out of the homes of the audiences. OOH can be different types of outdoor advertising including billboards, MTR, buses or minibuses, bus stations or airports.
The purpose of OOH is to increase brand awareness, to put your product out there so anybody who passes by would have the opportunity to learn about your business. It can also instil confidence in your audience’s mind and keep your brand top-of-mind, making you a stronger competitor in your industry.
Major OOH Advertising Companies
The major OOH advertising companies in Hong Kong are:
- JC Decaux
- Easy Group
JC Decaux is a French company which has built its reputation on OOH. In Hong Kong, it is a mainly provides bus shelter, tram, and MTR advertising.
Asiaray is another major OOH media company in the Greater China region which also serves MTR and bus shelter advertisement (KMB and LWB). Apart from that, they also have bus-body advertising, in bus advertising, billboard, taxi bodies, DOOH, and building solutions.
An OOH media company that focuses mainly on buses is Road Show. Road Show used to produce short videos which would be played in buses for entertainment purposes, while advertisements played in the middle of segments and on the side the frame as banner ads. Though video program no longer exists, Road Show is still one of the major media companies in Hong Kong offering bus-body and bus-interior advertisements.
For billboards, the biggest media companies are Cody and Poad. Cody is an Australian company with a branch in Hong Kong that serves OOH billboards in downtown areas such as Central, Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, and at the exits of tunnels where the OOH advertisements would be clearly in sight.
Poad’s business spans from Hong Kong to Macau and Singapore. It offers OOH in a highway advertising format with tunnel billboards as well as pedestrian walkway format with DOOH and billboards on buildings.
Easy Group is an advertising company in OOH in Hong Kong that has quickly grown since 2002, it provides a spectrum of out of home advertising spaces in Hong Kong including bus, minibus, billboards, and its expertise - taxis.
OOH Advertising Formats
OOH can be placed in different locations with particular formats:
- DOOH (Digital OOH advertising). Its formats include building exterior, digital billboards, street furniture, mobile billboard trucks, and interior displays.
- Hong Kong Airport advertising. It surprisingly has quite a few OOH spaces which are in non-restricted areas such as arrivals hall and check-in hall, and restricted areas such as duty-free zones, central concourse and arrivals baggage reclaim hall.
- MTR advertising. There are train advertisements and station advertisements. Station advertisements include fence sticker, floor sticker, pillar wrap, wall sticker, 12-sheet panel, 4-sheet panel, escalator crown, etc. Train advertisements include full train body, in-train campaign, train door window stickers, in-train card, etc.
- Bus body advertising. Formats include T-hammer, hammer, superside, whole bus and mega rear while bus-interior formats mainly consist of entrance, stairs, interior, and ceiling advertisements.
- Bus shelters. A type of street furniture, and the advertising format include flagship domination, première panel, scrolling première panel, première panel plus, digital frame, 4-sheet panel, and mega panel.
- Taxi OOH. It includes 4-door stickers, whole body stickers, 3D tailor-made light box and normal light box.
Benefits of OOH Advertising
Why should you consider OOH in your media plan? Around $4.6 billion HKD is spent on OOH in Hong Kong each year. This proves its popularity and effectiveness.
OOH advertisement is a quick way to leave an impression on a large audience base as they are an eye-catching form of media. As the name suggests, OOH advertising targets people outside of their homes, either on their commute to work or school or just travelling around the city. OOH or DOOH are visual advertisements and therefore must make sure their message stands out so that anyone who takes so much as a glance can obtain information about the business. Take DOOH on building exteriors, they often require not more than only the name of their company.
OOH advertisements are constant. Once billboards, posters, bus-body advertisements, and many others are put up, they stay up until the campaign is over. In other words, OOH advertising is 24/7 advertising and what gets into the audiences’ minds by being seen any time of day. Unlike other types of advertisements that are published thousands of times in hopes of being seen by readers, OOH advertisements only require to be put up once (or a few times depending on the OOH advertising space you purchased), and just wait for people to stumble across the advertisement.
From the type to where your OOH advertisement is, you can target the audience that would see your advertisement and how your advertisements are perceived. Enough to be said, there are quite the benefits of using OOH in your media plan.