Traditional Advertising vs. Digital Advertising: A Comparison
Ever since the creation of social media and multiple online tools, digital advertising has exponentially increased and surpassed traditional advertising. However, the COVID-19 pandemic might have started to turn the tides for traditional advertising as businesses found an increase in traditional advertising expenses in 2020. What makes the popularity of digital advertising skyrocket, and why is traditional advertising interminable?
What is Traditional Advertising?
Traditional advertising are all types of advertising methods before digital advertising emerged, usually with a main objective of reaching a mass audience regardless of who they are. Traditional advertising methods have been in place since the dawn of time and still holds a place in Hong Kong. The distribution of these methods among all types of advertising are:
Advantages of Traditional Advertising
- Penetrable into people’s lives. People will encounter OOH if they leave their residence. Even if they do not, there are still newspapers and magazines people rely on to obtain news, not to forget television advertising which exists in almost all households in Hong Kong.
- Higher exposure rate. As just established, traditional advertisements can find its way into the daily lives of their audiences. Due to the large amount of advertising space around Hong Kong, the exposure for traditional advertising would be higher and could increase your brand awareness.
Disdvantage of Traditional Advertising
- Higher advertising cost. In traditional advertising, you usually buy quite a lot of advertising space for each ad campaign since the main goal is to reach as much people as possible. The cost would be much higher considering traditional advertising spaces are usually more expensive and multiple advertising spaces are usually used on top of that.
What is Digital Advertising?
As the emerge of the digital age, most people will have seen at least a digital ad or two. Digital advertisements are categorized by its use of online platforms or other computational tools to promote your brand or service. According to the Advertising Bureau of Hong Kong (IAB HK), a total of $531 million USD has been spent on digital advertising in Hong Kong alone.
Advantages of Digital Advertising
- Audience can directly interact with your advertisements. Being able to view advertisements on a digital media means being able to click on the ad once they are interested. The users would be brought to a landing page outside from the advertisement to either learn about your brand or product or could immediately make a purchase. It could quickly give the leads more information to persuade them.
- It is easier to track and monitor the performance of your ad. There are different online tools, some even built-in for social media platforms to aid advertisers with monitoring the performance. It can show the interaction rate and impression of the advertisement and when the performance is best, letting you tweak your advertisement.
Disadvantage of Digital Advertising
- Extensive background research about the advertising detail should be done. There are different ways to purchase a digital advertising space, therefore you must pay attention and do enough research, so you are sure of your budget and the details. Some platforms undergo real-time bidding for their advertising spaces. In such case you need to do extra research and estimate how much your competitors are willing to pay.
Comparing the Differences
Digital advertisements are interactive and could relay more information upon the user’s request since they are interconnected to the internet and can easily transfer users to a landing page. Whereas traditional advertisements cannot be interacted with as the audiences are only on the receiving end of the ads. If viewers would like more information about your product or brand, they would have to obtain more information themselves and some would find it too tedious.
Furthermore, digital advertising is dependable on people’s mobile device or computer. Advertising would not reach people without internet or electronic devices when traditional advertising is boundless to certain devices or technology. There are different types of traditional advertising, each utilising different medium to display the advertisement to their audience.
Traditional advertising does not specifically target a group of audience, instead aims at advertising to as much people as possible so the ads may not always be shown to interested audience. Yet, digital advertising places emphasis to different demographics such as interests and behaviours.